60 of the Best Cast Iron Skillet Recipes
More and more people are realizing the terrific advantages of cooking with cast iron, and you’ll find that people definitely have their own preferences. There are lots campfire chefs, dutch oven devotees, and griddle gurus, but here at Surviving Prepper we prefer our skillets. For us, the skillet is the ultimate cooking pan. We deep fry, grill, stir fry, saute, and bake with our skillets. We start ’em on the stove top, and finish ’em in the oven. We LOVE cooking with our cast iron skillets. And we’re constantly scouring the internet for inspiration about what new and tasty delicious meal we can create next. Here is a list of 60 of the Best Cast Iron Skillet Recipes that we’ve found so far.
Best Cast Iron Skillet Entree Recipes
- Perfect Porterhouse Steak – This is chef Bobby Flay’s recipe for the perfect Porterhouse steak. With a steak this thick, you need to season liberally; when Flay demonstrated for us, the surface of the meat was virtually white from salt.
- Butter-Basted, Pan-Seared Thick-Cut Steaks Recipe – Perfectly cooked butter-basted steak, with a deep brown crust flavored with aromatics.
- Skillet-Fried Chicken – This easy recipe for Southern fried chicken is the only one you’ll ever need.
- Classic Buffalo Hot Wings – Fried or grilled? Either way, these crispy hot wings bathed in classic buffalo sauce are perfect for game day parties and backyard barbecues.
- Skillet Deep Dish Pizza – This pizza is loaded with toppings and cheese and cooked in a skillet for a perfect, crispy crust.
- Brown Sugar Soy Sauce Salmon – Grilling doesn’t have to be all about red meat! A fresh cut of seafood is a healthy alternative to wow your family and friends.
- Skillet Chicken with Bacon and White Wine Sauce – Starting with small bite-sized pieces of salty bacon and sweet caramelized shallots, and ending with the fact that it’s going to have that golden, crispy chicken skin after the chicken is pan-fried a little bit before taking a nice oven-bath in the white wine pan sauce.
- The Simplest and Best Shrimp Dish – Shrimp is delicious in itself, just add a few herbs and spices to make it perfect.
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken with Asparagus – This easy, show-stopper dinner is healthy to boot. Well I mean besides the cream. But the asparagus totally makes up for that.
- Rosemary Pork Chops – Who doesn’t love a good pork chop? Rosemary is a perfect partner for pork, and your cast iron skillet will give those chops a good sear.
- Cajun Blackened Catfish – This is a recipe from a very good Cajun friend who is a native of Lafayette, Louisiana.
- Huevos Rancheros – These Huevos Rancheros are pretty epic in the world of one pan dinners. Throw a bunch of tasty ingredients in a skillet, and crack some eggs into that rich, super flavorful sauce.
- Julia Child’s Creamy Chicken + Mushroom – Julia Child’s Creamy Chicken + Mushroom (also known as Supremes De Volaille Aux Champignons) is now lightened up! It takes less than 30 minutes to have this gourmet meal at your table — in one skillet — without any guilt.
- Browned Butter Honey Garlic Salmon – Salmon steaks panfried on Browned Butter infused with garlic and honey; then grilled/broiled for an extra 8 minutes for extra golden, crispy and caramelised finish.
- Black-Pepper-Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Chimichurri Sauce – A tangy condiment made with fresh herbs and garlic, chimichurri sauce is a traditional accompaniment to grilled meats in Argentina and pairs well with peppery steak.
- Southwestern Braised Lamb Shanks – Cranberries and chipotle chiles in adobo sauce impart a tangy-sweet and smoky flavor to these succulent braised lamb shanks.
- Cumin-Coriander Sirloin Steak – The combination of cumin, coriander, and ground red pepper create a tasty rub for the beef. Brown sugar aids caramelization
- Skillet Lemon Chicken with Olives and Herbs – Bright and flavorful, pan seared chicken breasts get tossed with green olives, lemon and fresh herbs then is finished in the oven.
- Quick and Easy Pizza Skillet – This quick and easy pizza skillet is like an amazing pan pizza baked and served in your favorite cast iron skillet, and it’s completely customizable!
Best Cast Iron Skillet Side Recipes
- Garlic Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms – These cheesy, garlic stuffed mushroom caps are an easy game day crowd pleaser! Serve them warm from the oven and straight from the griddle.
- Crispy Baked Pasta With Mushrooms, Sausage, and Parmesan Cream Sauce Recipe – One-skillet meal fit for normal everyday folks who perhaps might occasionally feel like kings.
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese – Baked macaroni and cheese doesn’t have to be complicated with layers of ingredients to be the soul-warming food you crave.
- Schmaltz-Refried Pinto Beans – Most store-bought lard (the traditional fat in refried beans) is nearly flavorless, unlike chicken fat, which is delicious and readily available.
- Spinach & Cheese Breakfast Skillet – This 700-calorie hash-and-egg recipe is a big healthy breakfast.
- Hasselback Potato Skillet Bake – A perfect side dish that can also be served as an alternative to hash browns for breakfast.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts – The sweet satisfaction of seeing this dyed-in-the-wool brussels sprouts avoider pick these roasted emerald jewels out of the pan and munch on them like candy.
- Skillet Macaroni and Broccoli and Mushrooms and Cheese – This mac ‘n’ cheese, adapted from the book “Real Food Has Curves” by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough, is quicker and easier to make than the classic casserole.
- Loaded Smashed Potato Skillet – This Loaded Smashed Potato Skillet has the flavors of loaded baked potatoes in one easy skillet dish. Perfect for a BBQ or even making on the BBQ.
- Four Cheese Baked Skillet Rigatoni – Incredible recipe! Perfect for a food induced coma.
- Umami Edamame – Umami Edamame healthy is a sweet, spicy, and oh so tasty snack that makes a perfect appetizer or side dish!
- Charred Summer Vegetables – Add the vegetables to a hot cast-iron skillet, cover, and cook 5 minutes without stirring so the natural sugars caramelize and add flavor.
Best Cast Iron Skillet Bread Recipes
- Easy No-Knead Olive-Rosemary Focaccia With Pistachios Recipe – This focaccia, topped with olives, rosemary, and pistachios, requires no kneading or stretching and results in a crisp, olive oil-scented crust and a puffy, moist, well-risen internal crumb with just the right amount of tender chew
- Briggs’ Buttermilk Biscuits – We love how the tops and bottoms of these biscuits are slightly crispy and the inside stays tender and flaky.
- Spicy Sausage and Cheddar Yeast Rolls – With his passion for bread, Bill Ryan, founder of the Louisiana Dutch Oven Society, is always looking for different ways to create a great tasting roll. After tasting your first one, you will quickly be grabbing for more!
- Easy Pull-Apart Pepperoni Garlic Knots Recipe – These pull-apart garlic knots are intensely flavored with pepperoni, red pepper flakes, garlic, and two types of cheeses, and have a moist, buttery crumb.
- Spotted Dog Irish Bread – I was SHOCKED to find out this wasn’t real Irish Soda Bread, but instead more commonly known as Spotted Dog.
- Irish Soda Bread in a Skillet – A basic version of Irish Soda Bread that is baked in a cast iron skillet.
- Butternut Squash Rolls Recipe – With their cheery yellow color and delicious aroma, these appealing buns will brighten your buffet table.
- Brown Butter Skillet Cornbread – This lightly sweet cornbread has a crunchy, buttery crust, which comes from baking it in a hot skillet.
- No Knead Rosemary Parmesan Skillet Bread – You can use whatever sturdy herbs or cheese you prefer. Dip the bread in oil & balsamic, slather with butter, or dip into a tomato sauce.
- 30 Minute Honey Whole Wheat Skillet Bread – Simply combine all the ingredients, all at once in one bowl, pour buttermilk over the top, stir until just moistened, and turn dough out into the skillet and bake. No kneading, no mixer, no dough hooks. Nothing fancy or complicated, and no tricky steps.
- Beer & Cheese Skillet Bread – This Beer & Cheese Skillet Bread recipe is super easy and delicious! Plus it requires minimal ingredients!
Best Cast Iron Skillet Desert Recipes
- Skillet Apple Pie with Cinnamon Whipped Cream – Easy apple pie that will that will wow your guests every time.
- Skillet S’mores Dip – Melted chocolate and toasted marshmallows that stays warm inside the cast iron skillet and only takes 15 minutes to make.
- Homemade Apple Fritters – Soft homemade donut dough folded with apples and spices and fried in a cast iron skillet for a crispy exterior crust.
- Nutella Stuffed Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie – This buttery and gooey on the inside – crispy and set on the outside – Nutella stuffed magical pie of-a-chocolate-chip-cookie had all of us weak at the knees begging for more, desperately scraping each and every crumb directly outta the pan like we’d been starving for weeks.
- Iron-Skillet Peach Crisp – The season’s most swoon-worthy peaches get extra-caramelized thanks to this cast iron crisp.
- German Apple Pancake Recipe – Pretty dish that is always a hit with guests.
- Fudge Brownie Pie Recipe – Here’s a fun and festive way to serve brownies. Family and friends will love topping their pieces with whipped cream and strawberries.
- Milk Cake Recipe – This is a simple recipe—and you’ll be able to use your well-seasoned cast-iron skillet to make it. The result of your effort is a light, airy cake.
- Banana Skillet Upside-Down Cake Recipe – Sometimes I add drained maraschino cherries to this banana skillet dessert and serve it with a ice cream
- Gooey Texas Sheet Cake Skillet – I know making Texas Sheet Cake in a Skillet technically makes it NOT Texas Sheet Cake.
- Skillet Peach and Blueberry Cake – This Peach and Blueberry Cake is moist, sweetened with brown sugar, for great flavor and topped with a pretty peach and blueberry decoration.
- Guest-at-the-Doorstep Apple-Berry Charlotte – Classic Soviet cuisine abounded in nifty quick recipes for unexpected guests. This puffy dessert requires only sliced tart apples, a few handfuls of berries and a simple batter.
- Chocolate Churro Dip – When churros met Nutella, your world became a better place.
- Death by Chocolate Skillet Brownie – Chocolate is commonly called an aphrodisiac, and when you dig your spoon in a gooey, warm bite of this triple chocolate skillet brownie, you’ll totally know why.
- Gooey Sugar Cookie Caramel Pudding Cake – This Sugar Cookie Caramel Pudding Cake is a warm, sugar cookie cake sitting on top of a layer of gooey caramel!
- Easy, 30 minute Cinnamon Roll Skillet Cake – Simple, no-yeast, time saving cinnamon rolls made in a skillet and covered with a creamy glaze. This cinnamon roll skillet cake takes less than 10 minutes to assemble and is a crowd-pleasing dessert!
- Peanut Butter Swirl GF Brownies – This brownie is amazing on two levels: first, it utilizes a cast iron skillet for baking, which ensures an evenly crisp brownie crust and fudgy center. Second, the bake time is around the 35 minute mark, and you can wow guests at the end of the meal with a dessert everyone can dive into.
- Vanilla Sugar Skillet Cake – This Vanilla Sugar Skillet Cake Recipe is baked in a cast iron skillet and uses basic pantry ingredients. It’s light, moist and delicious!
Other Cast Iron Resources
- 12 White-Hot Ways to Use Cast Iron Every Day – The Survival Mom
- The Healthy Cookware Shopping Guide (and the toxic things to avoid) – The Organic Prepper
- Is Cast Iron the Ultimate Camp Cookware? – Survival Life
- Every Prepper Needs a Big Beautiful Cast Iron Skillet – Backdoor Survival
- Cast Iron Cooking: One of the Best Investments a Prepper Can Make – Ready Nutrition
- Survival Lessons From The Old: One Pot Meals – Survivopedia
Best Cast Iron Skillet Recipes?
Do you have a cast iron skillet recipe that you think people should know about? Send it to us and we will add it to this post!
Additional Cast Iron Skillet Recipes
- Hello Creative Family – Cast Iron Skillet Cooking
- Easy Apple Puff Pancake – Living The Restaurant Life At Home
- 10 Delicious Cast Iron Skillet Recipes To Make Your Camping Trip Wonderful