For over 50 years, the Ruger 10/22 has been America’s favorite .22 rifle. In 2012 Ruger first introduced the takedown version of this rifle, allowing the user to easily remove the barrel from the action of the rifle. Now Ruger has introduced the Ruger 10/22 Takedown Lite — a slightly shorter rifle with an aluminum alloy barrel sleeve and a 1/2″-28 threaded muzzle, which is perfect for a suppressor. I guess it shouldn’t surprise us that Ruger is now also selling a .22 suppressor, the Silent-SR suppressor, that will reduce the sound of a .22 LR by up to 40 dB.
Ruger 10/22 Takedown Lite Features
- Patented, detachable 10-round rotary magazine features a unique rotor to separate cartridges and provide reliable feeding. Larger 25-round magazines are also available.
- Legendary action, a tried and true Ruger design, ensures consistent, reliable performance.
- Easy-to-use extended magazine release provides smooth, no-fuss removal of flush-mounted magazine.
- Positive, push-button, cross-bolt manual safety.
- Combination scope base adapter for both Weaver-style and .22 tip-off scope mounts included.
- Cold hammer-forged barrel tensioned in aluminum alloy barrel sleeve features a 1/2″-28 threaded muzzle and is fitted with a thread cap which can be removed to allow for the use of muzzle accessories.
- Heat-stabilized, glass-filled, polymer trigger housing assembly is precision made of high-tech material for improved manufacturing tolerances, impact and abrasion-resistance and an unmatched ability to withstand the elements.
- Also includes: Convenient carry-case, which provides ample storage room for magazines and accessories.
- Easy takedown enables quick separation of the barrel from the action for ease of transportation and storage. Takedown is as simple as locking the bolt back and verifying that the rifle is unloaded, pushing a recessed lever, twisting the subassemblies and pulling them apart.
- Features the Ruger® Modular Stock System with a low comb, standard length of pull (ships with an additional high comb, standard length of pull stock module).
Compare the Standard 10/22, standard Takedown 10/22 and the Ruger 10/22 Takedown Lite
|Stock||Hardwood||Black Synthetic||Black Synthetic|
|Front Sight||Gold Bead||Gold Bead||None|
|Material||Alloy Steel||Stainless Steel||Alloy Steel|
|Barrel Feature||Standard||Standard||Alloy Steel Barrel Tensioned in Aluminum Sleeve|
|Twist||1:16″ RH||1:16″ RH||1:16″ RH|
|Finish||Satin Black||Clear Matte||Satin Black|
|Weight||5 lb.||4.6 lb.||4.5 lb.|
Looking at the chart you will see that the Ruger 10/22 Takedown Lite is just a little bit shorter and lighter than the standard takedown. But it is over $200 more expensive. Is it worth the higher price? Well if you want a suppressor for your 10/22 then having a factory barrel that supports that is the way to go. Otherwise you end up buying a custom aftermarket barrel or threading a barrel yourself and suddenly that $200 higher price is worth every penny.
Besides black the Ruger 10/22 Takedown Lite is available in the blue, red and green.
I’ve always thought that the Ruger 10/22 for home defense is a good choice. Kids are not intimidated by them and all of our kids are trained on them.
To see other choices for the best Doomsday Prepper rifles for hunting, defense, & long term survival, check out this article by TopSurvivalPreps.com.