Is your bug out bag too heavy? Did your first attempt at building the perfect bug out bag result in a whopping 85 lbs (38.5 kg) or more? While you could pick this up and carry it, you might die of a heart attack before you made it a mile down the road. At this point there are only a few options. More gym time, or remove heavier items from your bag.
But what if there were other options? What if you could buy a smarter way of carrying your bug out bag equipment? Here are two such products.
The Honey Badger Wheel
The Honey Badger Wheel (https://www.honeybadgerwheel.com) is very much like a wheelbarrow. But lighter and can be configured for many different uses.
Features from website:
- NAKED 3-Piece Honey Badger Wheel Frame
- Handlebar Grips
- Optional Disc Brake System +$100
- Bottle Mount Inserts
- Accessory Mounts
- Height Adjustable Handlebars
- Wheel Patch Kit and Pump
- 3/16 Allen Wrench
- Model Wheel Size
The MULE (http://themule.com) Os more like a wheel assisted backpack. What is nice about it, is that it allows for both of you hands to be free to carry other things. Like a rifle. You can also kneel or get into a prone position while wearing it.
Features from website:
- Harness – Easily adjusted, simply done, and quickly separated form the user. Comfort pads are uncomplicated and can be adjusted to the most comfortable positions for the individual user’s preference.
- Load Bearing Frame – Made out of light-weight materials, which yields and efficient load-to-user weight factor of approximately two-to-one.
- Tire – Made out of solid material which eliminates a flat tire condition.
- User Worn Frame – Adjusts to a user height range from 5’4” to 6’4” in order to provide the user with an efficient load bearing capacity.
- Retractable Support Stand – It allows the M.U.L.E. to stand alone while being loaded. It also allows the user to walk into or walk out of the M.U.L.E. harness with ease.
- Brakes – It is provided with independent first and second breaks. The first break is used while the user with the harnessed M.U.L.E. is in motion. The second break is used to lock the wheel while the M.U.L.E. is in stand-alone mode.
Is Your Bug Out Bag Too Heavy
If you want to be able to carry more weight with little effort, the Honey Badger Wheel or the MULE may be exactly what you are looking for. Both are an additional expense, but they definitely allow you to think a little bigger.
Skilled Survival has a really nice list of items for your bug out bag. Take a look.
Best Survival has a nice Top 10 Bug Out Bag List. Check it out.